5 days of festive fun: day 1 - feed the birds
Every day between now and Christmas Eve we're going to share free, fun, festive activities you can share together with your little ones.
Today we're making bird feeders.
Messy fun for you and your little ones and a warming, winter treat for the birds.
You will need:
- Pine or fir cones (dried out so they don't open)
- Bird seed
- Grated cheese
- Suet or lard
- A mixing bowl
- Make your bird mix. Allow the lard to warm up to room temperature, but don't melt it. Then cut it up into small pieces and put it in the mixing bowl.
- Add the other ingredients to the bowl. Mix them together with your fingertips until the fat holds the squidgy mess together.
- Now group your cones together and loop the string around the top of them. Then pack the sticky bird mix around the cones with your hands, creating a ball shape.
- Put your cones in the fridge to set for an hour or so. After that, they'll be ready to hang up and are bound to bring the birds flocking.